Latest News

Futsal: Breathtaking match between two top futsal teams

17.01.17 Futsal: Breathtaking match between two top futsal teams

Swieqi entered into this match on an unbeaten run, whilst Hamrun were coming into the match on the back of two defeats against Valletta and Luxol. 

Swieqi got off to a brilliant start when Jason Gauci scored a fantastic goal to put Swieqi in the lead in the first minute. Such set back shocked Hamrun who immediately tried to level matters, only to find Swieqi's keeper Balzan in fine form.
In the 9th minute Hamrun deservedly got a goal back through Everton Da Silva Santos who blasted a shot straight into Swieqi's net.
Swieqi tried to find a reaction and had two of their foreigners in Fred and Bobo who went close to scoring. 
The match was an equal affair between both teams with some great futsal being played by them, offering a spectacle to those who were in attendance. 
Swieqi took a 1-2 lead on the stroke of half time when an excellent pass was delivered by Petev to Redeemer who in turn ensured that the ball was firmly placed into the back of the net.
Hamrun quickly levelled matters at the start of the second half when Daniele Degennaro made it 2-2. Seconds later, a pass received from a Swieqi corner saw Bobo put Swieqi back into the lead 2-3, only for the said Daniele Degennaro to level matters a mere seconds later. Frederick Johansson scored Swieqi's fourth goal a minute later. This was certainly end to end action being witnessed at Corradino, with both teams again having numerous chances to score!
Swieqi's failure to finish off their rapid counter attacks saw them caught out at the back and Hamrun levelled matters 4-4 when Everton Da Silva Santos was in the right place at the right time. Swieqi were unlucky to concede another goal four minutes later, with the shot coming off keeper Balzan to crawl into the back of the net.
Upset by the unlucky goal conceded, Swieqi were defeated yet again two minutes later when a deflection off Ciancio saw Hamrun take a 6-4 lead. Ciancio quickly forgot about his mishap when an excellent cross by him saw his shot come off Anton Fiorin for an own goal scored by Hamrun.
The last six minutes were hotly contested, with Swieqi desperately trying to find an equalizer and Hamrun hitting the post and crossbar soon after. 
Ultimately time ran out for the Oranges and the final buzzer brought an end to a breathtaking match that will surely be remembered by all those present last night.
Swieqi's seniors next take on Zurrieq Wolves on Monday 30th January at 8pm at Corradino.
Match report: Robert Dingli
Photo credits: Joe Borg
< Back to News